(SALMON HEAD IN TAMARIND SOUR BROTH WITH MISO)
SINIGANG NA ULO NG SALMON SA MISO -Fish heads used to be a throw away food in the Western part of the world. Thanks to the persistence of Asians who prize this part of the fish for its healthy, gelatinous, collagen-rich, fatty meat, that is packed with essential Omega-3 fish oils.
Cooking has now evolved in the Western hemisphere, and renowned chefs have embraced the head to tail sourcing of food, fish eyeballs, pig’s head and organs included. Two of the well-known proponents of this type of eating is Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Bourdain. That being said, we are definitely in good company.
SINIGANG NA ULO NG SALMON SA MISO
2 salmon heads, split in half
1 package sinigang sa sampalok mix (tamarind seasoning mix)
200 grams miso paste
1 large tomato, chopped
1 large onion, sliced
1 bunch pechay or spinach or kangkong (water spinach)
1 labanos (daikon radish)
10 pieces (or more) okra, sliced
2 eggplants, halved and sliced into 3-inch sections
1 tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
1 quart water
Salt & pepper to taste
2-3 pieces finger chili peppers
1. In large pan or pot, heat oil to sauté onions and tomatoes until soft and fragrant. Then add in miso paste and continue to sauté for a minute.
2. Add in water, salmon head and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
3. Season with fish sauce, salt and pepper.
4. Add radish, okra and eggplant. Simmer until almost tender.
5. Stir and incorporate sinigang mix. (I find that adding it almost to the last minute retains much of its sourness.)
6. Add spinach/kangkong or pechay leaves. Turn off heat and cover pot.
You may also try our:
Did you try this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.