Spaghetti and Meatballs to me is the quintessential Italian dish. Growing up, this has been my introduction to Italian cuisine.
Here’s my new favorite recipe!
SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
2 pounds ground beef, 80% lean
1 pound box of spaghetti
1 cup of dry breadcrumbs
4 cups marinara sauce
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
1 tablespoon dry oregano
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the extra virgin olive oil. Cook the onion and bell pepper. Add the garlic, salt and crushed chili flakes, cook for 4 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and let cool.
2. To the bowl with the cooled veggies, add the beef, breadcrumbs, basil, parsley, oregano, pepper, grated Parmesan and eggs. Mix thoroughly and shape into 2-inch balls.
3. In the same pan used for cooking vegetables, heat the oil and brown the meatballs completely. Do this in batches.
4. Bring to a boil a large pot of salted water. Cook the spaghetti al dente.
5. Bring the marinara sauce to a simmer. Add the meatballs and simmer until cooked through.
6. Plate the spaghetti, ladle the sauce and meatballs on top. Garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese.