Leche Flan (Using Egg Whites), if you got some left over egg whites from baking. Why not try making some Leche Flan using just pure egg whites! Yes, they taste just like any egg yolks leche flan. Just add Calamansi to remove that fishy taste of egg whites. But over all, I must say they are equally delicious. Estimated time of preparation and cooking: 60 minutes.
Yield: 4- 5 llaneras
Leche Flan (Using Egg Whites)
- 10 egg whites(puti ng itlog)
- 1 can (390 grams) evaporated milk
- 1 can (390 grams) fat free condensed milk
- 1-2 teaspoons calamansi juice/ vanilla flavor/dayap rind.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract(optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Utensils Needed:
- Llanera or aluminum molds
- Strainer/Fine Sieve
- Whisk/Electric Hand Mixer
- For the Caramel: In a shallow small pot, dissolve 1 cup brown sugar in ¾ cups water using lowest heat until golden brown. Stir gently.
- Transfer syrup in your llaneras or aluminum molds. Make sure spread it evenly. Let it cool and set aside.
- For the Flan: In a large bowl, combine the other ingredients then whisk well or use a hand mixer.
- Once your mixture is smooth, pour the mixture on top of the cooled caramel (about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick).
- Cover your molds with aluminum foil then steam over lowest heat for about 40-45 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Remove the molds and let it cool at room temperature then refrigerate for several hours before unmolding. It will come out perfectly once cool but it can easily break in the sides if it still warm.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leche Flan Tips:
- Strain the mixture for 4 times, use a fine sieve or strainer. Traditionally my auntie would even use a “gauze like cloth” to strain the mixture just to make sure there is no lumps and the flan will be super smooth.
- To remove the leche flan from mold without breaking the side or corner, make sure to chill it first in the fridge. That’s the secret to unmold a flan without any breaks.
- Once chilled, run a thin knife around the edges of the mold to loosen the leche flan. Place a platter on top of the mold and quickly turn upside down to position the golden brown caramel on top.
- To check if Leche flan is cooked, before taking out from the oven or steamer, insert a skewer or toothpick in the center and when it comes out clean, then your flan is good to go.