A delicious and refreshing twist to Leche Flan recipe.. Flan de Laranja of brazil or Orange Leche Flan.. Citrusy, sweet and creamy leche flan for the Holiday season! Have a happy Holidays y’all.
Orange Leche Flan
For the Caramel sauce:
1 ½ cups of sugar
2 cups of water
For the Flan:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 ⅓ cups of orange juice
1 tsp Orange rind
Fresh orange, garnish
For Caramel sauce:
1. Melt the sugar (under low heat) in a pan.
2. Add the water and bring to boil until it forms a caramel syrup. make sure not to burn or sauce will be bitter.
3. Pour the caramel into the mold and spread it by rotating the mold.
4. For the Flan: Combine all the ingredients in the blender, except for the garnish. Use a very fine strainer, strain the mixture for 2x or more. Make sure there are no more bubbles left.
5. Transfer mixture in each caramelized lanera mold and don’t forget to cover it with foil.
6. Steam or Oven Cooking: If you don’t have an oven, you can steam it for about 30 minutes.
7. Or bake it in bain marie, by putting the lanera mold in a baking dish filled with very hot water.
8. Bake the flan in a water bath (330°-350°F) for 1 hour – 1 ½ hour or until the flan is firm. To check if it’s already cooked, just insert a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean.
9..Set it aside to cool down at room temperature. Transfer the flan in the refrigerator at least 5 hours or overnight. It will surely be perfect in shape when you unmold it once cool.
10. To serve, run a thin knife on the sides. Place a dish over mold and quickly flip it over. Garnish with fresh slices of oranges or sweetened oranges and pour extra caramel glaze on top.
11. Serve chilled and enjoy!