If you want to know why Siopao turns yellowish in color. In this recipe I will teach you the technique on how to make a pure white Siopao Asado. Learn why some siopao turns into yellowish dough instead of pure white.
For your Homemade Siopao Sauce recipe also check this recipe.
Siopao Asado Recipe
2 cups warm water
2 ½ tbsp sugar (added to yeast mixture)
½ cup sugar (added to the flour mixture)
1 pouch dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast)
5 cups all purpose flour
1 ¼ tbsp baking powder
6 tbsp shortening
2 lbs pork, chopped into small pieces
3 tbsp lard or shortening, or butter*
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 large onion, minced
2 tbsp cornstarch, diluted in ¼ cup water
4 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
**use shortening or lard if you want your siopao to be pearly white. If you use butter it will adapt the color of the butter.
**add 1 tsp of vinegar into the water of your steamer. (dont worry it wont affect the taste of your siopao, it will make the puto white instead).
1. For the filling: In a pan, heat oil. Saute garlic and onions until fragrant.
2. Toss in pork and saute until the color of pork turns light brown
3. Pour soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and sugar then stir well. Simmer for a few
4. Add diluted corn starch (in water) and stir until sauce is thickened. Set it aside.
5. Make the dough by placing warm water in a bowl then add the yeast and sugar and mix well. Let it stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, shortening (or lard), and the yeast-
sugar-water mixture then mix well (bubbles should have formed on top by then).
7. Knead all the mixture until the texture of the dough becomes smooth. Let the dough
rise by setting it aside for at least one hour (place in the mixing bowl and cover the top ).
8. Punch and knead the dough, then divide and cut into individual slices (this will be the dough per
9. Using a rolling pin in flat working area, flatten the dough until a round shape is formed about 3-4 inches in wide.
10. Put the asado filling on the middle of the flattened dough and wrap it up and fold the top with pleated style of folding.
11. Prepare your steamer and let it boil, then add 1 tbsp of vinegar (this will make siopao color white). Place the steamer rack. Cover with cloth on top to avoid water drippings and steam for about 15 minutes. Place pot cover tightly. And wait for the exact time before opening the steamer.
12. Serve and enjoy!!!