Ready in 25 minutes plus marinating
Szechuan Beef Recipe
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 level tsp cornflour
- 2cm piece of root ginger peeled and sliced
- 500g Lean beef steak, all visible fat removed, cut into bite size pieces
- cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and thinly sliced (extra to garnish)
- ½ tsp szechuan peppercorns, crushed
- chinese 5 spice powder, pinch
- 1 red pepper – deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper – deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped to garnish
- 1 can baby corns, (optional)
- bunch of snowpea (sitsaro), optional
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ½ tsp salt, cornflour and ginger in a bowl with 1 tbsp water and mix. Add the steak and stir to coat well. Let it marinate in a cool place for 30 minutes in a tight container or with cover.
- Heat an oil over a medium-high heat. Saute garlic, chilli, Szechuan peppercorns, baby corns, five spice and cook for 1 minute. Add the marinated beef (reserve marinade) and stir fry for 2-3 mins. Remove and keep warm.
- Toss in the peppers and snowpea into the pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes then return the steak and the marinade to the wok. Fry quickly over a medium heat for 1 minute.
- Season with black pepper, sprinkle with spring onion and extra chilli.
- Serve hot and enjoy!