This Filipino kakanin Binalay is a native delicacy of Iligan, Isabela province. A sticky rice dessert dipped in sweet buttery syrup sprinkled with latik bits. Super delicious and sweet. Try it today!!
Yield: 10 pcs.
Binalay ng Isabela
4 cups glutinous rice flour
½ cup water
4 cups coconut milk
1 cup water
1 ½ Cups brown sugar
Banana leaves wrapper, wilted
1. Wilt and pass banana leaves over the flame and wipe, brush with coconut oil from the latik you will be making.
2. For the Sticky Rice: Add the glutinous rice flour in a bowl, add water and mix well.
3. Knead (masahin) the flour mixture to just like a smooth dough.
4. Prepare mixture and mold into balls size shape using the palm.
5. In a wilted banana leaf, add one piece of dough on top and flatten into a patty.
6. Wrap the banana leaves to secure the rice mixture and fold the sides.
7. Arrange the wrapped rice mixture and fold each one, (face down) into steamer rack.
8. Make sure water is already boiling, steam the wrapped binally over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
FOR LATIK SAUCE:
1. In a sauce pan, heat coconut milk and bring it to a boil. Then simmer over low heat, when it boils. Constantly stirring.
2. When the latik starts to form small solids, and becomes oily. Or it produces coconut oil.
3. Keep stirring, until you achieve the perfect color of your latik. Keep stirring and scraping as you cook it. Strain to separate the oil from latik or coconut curd.
4. In another saucepan, mix water and brown sugar.
5. Mix it well until sugar gets dissolved, let it boil until caramelized.
6. Add the latik to the caramelized sauce. Mix well, remove from heat.
Serve it unwrapped and with latik sauce on top. Serve and enjoy!!!
If you using glutinous rice, soak it in water overnight, drain water and grind (blender) finely. If banana leaves is not available, prepare the sticky rice by cooking over boiling water (just like palitaw).
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.