This Siomai recipe is simple and super delicious just like the siomai all Filipinos love to eat for snacks. This goes well with our Homemade Siomai Chili Sauce
AUTHENTIC CHINESE SIOMAI
3 dried Shiitake mushrooms
1/2 pound shrimp, chopped
1 pound ground pork
1/4 cup chopped carrots
2 tablespoons water chestnuts, chopped
1 green onion, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of white pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine (Shaoxing)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 egg, beaten
1 package thin wonton wrappers, edges trimmed to make them round
Oil for brushing dumplings
*Rice wine, Cooking Wine or Shaoxing wine is available in all SM supermarkets
1. Soak mushroooms in warm water for 30 minutes. Cut off stems and discard. Chop the caps.
2. In one bowl, combine mushrooms, shrimps, pork, carrots, water chestnuts, and green onions.
3. In another bowl, combine thoroughly the salt, pepper, sugar, soy sauce, rice wine, and sesame oil. Add to the meat and vegetable mixture. Add egg and combine.
4. To wrap, put a tablespoon of the filling in the middle of a wrapper, leaving a half inch free from the edge of the wrapper. Gather up the sides of the wrapper with your fingertips and make pleats around the filling. Bounce the bottom of the wrapper on the counter to flatten.
5. Oil the bottom of a steamer and arrange the dumplings on the bottom. Brush the tops of the dumplings with oil. Add enough water to the pan so that it comes just below the bottom of the steamer. When it comes to a full boil, add the steamer with the dumplings to the pan. Cover and steam for 15 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce of calamansi, soy sauce and siomai sauce
Comments & Photo
Faith Javier: “I’m so thankful for your easy to follow recipe and really feature Filipino favorite foods. I tried your recipes for the first time; again and again, it never disappoint. Today, I followed your Siomai and chili recipe. It’s downright delicious!! Ingredients are simple and easy to find. Thank you so much. I feel homesick once in a while, but I guess, not so much anymore.”
You may also want to try one of our Best Recipe for Fish Balls:
Credits: Kitchen Offerings
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.