A delicious and simple, Chinese-American dish of stir-fried beef and bell peppers. Good for one or two servings meal only. Happy cooking!
CHINESE PEPPER STEAK
¼ kilogram beef (round, sirloin, flank), sliced thinly across the grain
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 large tomato, diced
½ green bell pepper
½ red bell pepper
1 cup fresh white mushrooms, quartered
1 cup beef broth (or 1 beef bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water)
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil, optional
1. Sprinkle and season the beef with salt and pepper. Heat your pan until smoking. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Quickly stir-fry the beef about 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the other tablespoon oil. Stir-fry garlic, onions and ginger until fragrant.
3. Toss in the tomatoes, mushrooms and bell peppers. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes
4. Add in beef broth and let boil. Pour soy sauce and oyster sauce.
5. Return beef in the pan. Combine together and cook for 2 minutes more.
6. Pour slurry (cornstarch dissolved in little water). Simmer until the sauce has thickened. Add more broth if you want more sauce or if too thick. Add sesame oil, stir and turn off heat.
7. Serve and Enjoy!