You dont have to spend much on your Filipino holiday ham or Christmas Orange Galzed Ham. Nowadays, ham cost a hefty amount of price and the size is just as big as a small ball.
In fact you can make your own homemade ham at home. If you got plenty of time and your passion is cooking, why buy when you can make your own special one! All you have to do is to find a perfect leg ham for baking. Lets get into the details.
Christmas Orange Glazed Ham
1/2 leg ham about 2 to 3 kilos
3 oranges, sliced thinly
1 liter pulpy orange juice
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (I used minute maid pulpy orange)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp. grated ginger
1. Score the Leg Ham: With a sharp small knife, slice and remove the rind of the ham by running a small sharp knife under the rind, around the edge of ham. You may also ask your butcher to do it for you. (Ang rind ay ang balat at konting taba sa ibabaw, ngunit magiwan ng manipis na hibla ng taba para kumapit ang glaze mamaya).
2. Gently, lift the whole rind to separate. Leaving a fine thin line of fat, you need this fat to keep your shiny glaze presentation.
3. Slice and slit the fat into diamond patterns (score) Transfer the ham in a large pan for roasting and set aside.
4. For the Glaze Sauce: In a saucepan, mix the fresh and pulpy orange juice, sugar and ginger. Toss in the sliced oranges and let it boil over medium to low heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Use a thong and one by one remove the slices of oranges. Set it aside for later use.
5. Back to your orange sauce, continue to cook over low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes. (or until the glaze becomes thick in texture) stirring occasionally. Turn off heat.
6. How to bake the Leg Ham: Glaze your ham with some orange sauce and bake in preheated oven to 180ᵒ C for approximately 45 to 60 minutes. Make sure to brush ham with orange glaze every 10 minutes interval.
7. Then, adjust oven temperature to 200ᵒC and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes, brush ham with orange glaze every 5 minutes (your ham should look caramelize).
8. In the last 5 minutes of baking your ham, pre-arrange the sliced oranges on top of the ham.
9. Once done remove from oven, and garnish the sides with fresh slices of orange and cilantro herbs (wansoy).
10. Serve hot or cold in slices. Enjoy!!!
You may also try our:
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.