As the weather gets colder and colder everyday, why not cook a very hot Bulalo soup or beef marrow soup to warm our day even just for awhile. For the chilly ice cold wind or even rainy days, Bulalo Soup for the win!
FILIPINO BULALO RECIPE
2 pounds beef shanks with meat
2 pounds bone marrow, cut to expose marrow on one end
1 bunch baby bokchoy or pechay, leaves separated
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed ans peeled
2 pieces corn on the cob, cut into 1.5″ segments
2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
6-7 cups of water or enough water
1. In a large deep pot, place the beef shanks and bone marrow and cover with enough water.
2. Add the onion, garlic, peppercorns and bring to a boil.
3. Remove scum as it rises. Then lower the heat and simmer for 4-5 hours over medium-low heat or until the beef is fork tender. If using pressure cooker, let it cook for 1 to 1- 1/2 hours.
4. Once the beef is tender, add the potatoes, and corn cobs, and fish sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes or until corn/potatoes are done.
5. Add the baby bok choy or pechay in the final 1 minute of cooking. Cover the pot and turn off heat.
6. Serve it hot. Enjoy with patis, red chili pepper and calamansi on the side.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.