“In my quest to try something new and different, I made this pasta dish. Upon seeing the ingredients, I knew that it would be flavorful. And the fact that I have a jar of roasted red peppers and a small bottle of capers begging to be used. Plus, raisins on a
savory dish seem inviting. So, here we go.”
This Recipe is by Richard Blaise of Top Chef (American TV show – Season 4, 2008). Chef Blaise didn’t won in Season 4, but however came back for Season 8, all star finale and won the title for that season. Adapted from McCormick.
Penne Pasta with Sweet Sausage, Roasted Peppers and Raisins
1 pound penne (orechiette or cavatelli pasta can be used)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound sweet sausage, casings removed, coarsely crumbled
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 jar (10 ounce) roasted red peppers, drained, cut into strips
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons drained capers
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Sliced green onions for garnish
1. Prepare and boil pasta in salted, rolling, boiling water and follow package instructions. Drain well and let it cool. Do not wash pasta in running water, it will loose the essential taste of the pasta.
2. In a medium pan, heat oil in over medium heat. Toss in the sausage and garlic; Saute and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until sausage is cooked and lightly brownish.
3. Sprinkle smoked paprika, salt and thyme; cook and stir 30 seconds.
4. Toss roasted peppers, pour in stock, add raisins, capers and vinegar; Let it cook for 1 minute or until heated.
5. Pour drained pasta into skillet. Toss and combine all ingredients.
6. Garnish with sliced green onions.
7. Serve immediately.