For Chicken Fingers:
Peanut oil, for frying
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oil to 350 degrees F.
Cut the chicken breasts into long strips and set aside.
Beat the 3 eggs in a separate bowl and measure the flour into another separate dish.
Measure the panko into a pie plate or shallow bowl and season with garlic powder, lemon-pepper, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Dip the chicken strips into the flour, the beaten egg and then dredge them into the seasoned panko.
Fry in the hot peanut oil for 6 to 8 minutes, until golden brown, and remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray. Serve with honey mustard sauce.
For Buttermilk Calamari:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup Self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp paprika
1/4 Teaspoon Medium Curry Powder
2 tsp thyme (optional)
Canola oil, to fry
Garlic parsley mayonnaise dip:
½ Cup Mayonnaise
1/3 Cup (80ml) Cream
Juice of ½ lemon
2 tsp minced garlic
1. Pour buttermilk into a bowl with the calamari, set aside for 15 minutes. This will help tenderize the calamari.
2. Pour a bottle of canola oil into a deep, heavy based pot and heat it up, until its hot.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Drain the calamari and coat in the flour mixture, immediately fry in batches for 45 seconds to a minute or until golden in colour.
4. Using a slotted spoon carefully remove the calamari from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
Method – Mayonnaise Dip:
1. Mix all the mayonnaise ingredients together in a bowl and serve with calamari and a wedge of lemon.