Chicken Fingers and Buttermilk Calamari
For Chicken Fingers:
Peanut oil, for frying
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oil to 350°F (180°C)
2. Cut the chicken breasts into long strips and set aside.
3. Beat the 2 eggs in a separate bowl and measure the flour into another separate dish.
4. Measure the panko into a pie plate or shallow bowl and season with garlic powder, lemon-pepper, cayenne, salt and pepper.
5. Dip the chicken strips into the flour, the beaten egg and then dredge them into the seasoned panko.
6. Fry in the hot peanut oil for 6 to 8 minutes, until golden brown, and remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray. Serve with honey mustard sauce.
For Buttermilk Calamari:
Substitute for Buttermilk: use milk and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar per cup of milkand let it curdle for 5 minutes before use. Or if not, you may also substitute plain yogurt.
1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup Self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp paprika
1/4 Teaspoon Medium Curry Powder
2 tsp thyme (optional)
Canola oil, to fry
Garlic Parsley Mayonnaise Dip:
½ Cup Mayonnaise
1/3 Cup (80ml) Cream
Juice of ½ lemon
2 tsp minced garlic
1. Pour buttermilk into a bowl with the calamari, set aside for 15 minutes. This will help tenderize the calamari.
2. Pour a bottle of canola oil into a deep, heavy based pot and heat it up, until its hot.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Drain the calamari and coat in the flour mixture, immediately fry in batches for 45 seconds to a minute or until golden in colour.
4. Using a slotted spoon carefully remove the calamari from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
Method – Mayonnaise Dip:
1. Mix all the mayonnaise ingredients together in a bowl and serve with calamari and a wedge of lemon.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.