Don’t be discouraged by its not so appetizing or enticing appearance. This soup packs some serious flavors. The first time I had it was like a religious experience.. So heavenly. It was that good, especially when served with the proper fixins or accompany. If you’ve never tried it, you’re missing out. Like I always say, Give the humble beans a chance.
BLACK BEANS & CORN SOUP
4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups water
2 cubes beef bouillon
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained & mashed
1 cup whole kernel corn
2 tablespoons ground cumin
5 dashes hot pepper sauce
Salt to taste
Sour cream, chopped cilantro, avocado slices & lime wedges for garnish
- Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon bits on a paper towel lined plate, and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings.
- In a pot, heat reserved bacon drippings, saute garlic and onions. Add carrots, celery, tomatoes, water and bouillon cubes. Let boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add bacon bits, corn and mashed black beans. Season with cumin, hot sauce and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low; simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add water if the consistency is too thick for your liking.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, chopped cilantro, avocado slices and a lime wedge.
- Serve it hot and enjoy!