SAUTEED MUNG BEANS IN COCONUT MILK
“Ginisang Munggo (Sauteed Mung Beans) is as Filipino as it gets. Favorite dish to go with fried galunggong (round scad). Never had it any other way, until now.
A dearest friend that hails from Antique, in the Visayan region of the Philippines. According to her, they put coconut milk in their munggo. And since my inquiring palate wants to know, I had her cook ginisang munggo her way. It was a successful dish.
Regional variations of certain Filipino dishes are a testament to the diversity, resourcefulness, and creativity of the Filipino people.
Next time you prepare ginisang munggo, think about adding coconut milk for a change. Enjoy!”
Ginisang Munggo sa Gata Recipe
1/4 kilogram munggo, pre-soaked
1 onion, sliced
1 big tomato, sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup shrimps
1/2 cup shredded tinapa
1 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
1 big bay leaf, shredded
1-2 cup baby spinach leaves or malunggay
Pepper to taste
Fish sauce, to taste
1 shrimp cube (optional)
1. Wash and pre soaked munggo in water for 4 hours. Set aside.
2. After 4 hours, pour the soaked munggo in a sauce pot and let it boil till soft and flaky. Remove munggo and drain the water. Set aside.
3. In another pan, heat oil, sauté garlic, onion and tomato until it becomes soft and fragrant.
4. Toss in softened munggo and continue to sauté. Add shrimps, tinapa flakes and bay leaves. Stir it well.
5. Pour coconut milk and combine well. Season with salt, fish sauce and pepper, adjust taste according to your preference. Let it boil and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking from the bottom.
6. Add baby spinach leaves or malunggay leaves, cover it and remove from the heat.
7. Turn off heat and transfer soup in a serving bowl. Serve hot and enjoy!
This Recipe goes well with:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.