“Summer is when strawberries are plentiful and at their peak. One of the season’s luscious offerings is a treat of strawberries and pastry.
The classic strawberry shortcake is made with sweet biscuit or scone then filled with macerated strawberries and whipped cream (as seen in the photo). Some variations use pound cake, sponge cake, angel food cake or chiffon cake. Any of these cakes will produce a version just as delicious.”
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 1/3 cups Bisquick mix
2/3 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 container (8 ounces), frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Mix strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
2. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Stir Bisquick mix, milk, sugar, and the butter until soft dough forms.
4. Drop 6 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
6. Split shortcakes; fill with strawberries and whipped topping.
7. Makes 6 shortcakes.
Recipe from Betty Crocker’s Original Bisquick Mix.