Lebak is turon made of malagkit or glutinous rice. It is a native merienda delicacy in Sultan Kudarat. It’s a new twist of the traditional turon made of banana. You can also add langka, macapuno or ube for add on flavors. You must try it, ultimate turon ever!
So if you have left over biko, suman or tikoy, this is the best shortcut for this recipe. Just wrap it up with lumpia wrapper and let it cook like turon.
Turon Malagkit (Lebak)
½ kilo glutinous rice or malagkit
3 cups coconut milk (or 400ml coconut cream)
1/2 kilo brown sugar
Oil for frying
Note: If you have a ready made or left over biko, you can skip the first step of cooking malagkit.
1. In a pot, cook the malagkit with the coconut milk. Stir it occasionally to prevent sticking at the bottom. Once cooked, transfer it in a bowl and let it cool.
2. Scoop a spoonful of the cooked malagkit and dip/coat it in brown sugar.
3. Then start shaping and wrapping it with the turon wrapper. If preferred, add ripe langka strips or ube for additional flavors or variety.
4. Keep wrapping until all ingredients are used up.
How to Cook Turon:
5. In a frying pan over low-medium heat, pour a cup of oil. Make sure that the oil is hot before putting 2-3 tablespoon of brown sugar (at a time).
6. When the sugar starts to float, add the wrapped pieces and start frying stir to coat your lumpia with melted sugar caramel. But don’t overcook. Just add more sugar as you cook more turon.
7. Finally, drain the turon to remove excess oil.
Serve it hot or cold. Enjoy!!
Caution: Just be careful because the filling can be so hot. So let it cool first before serving it to kids.
You may also try our:
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.