Tortang Talong with Crabmeat
(Eggplant Omelet with Crab)
3 medium Chinese eggplants (broiled for 12 minutes)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup fresh crabmeat
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
a dash of ground black pepper
8 tablespoons cooking oil
- Heat a pan and add little bit of oil. Sauté the onion until soft and transparent. Toss in the crabmeat and cook for for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and transfer into a bowl. Set it aside.
- Start peeling the broiled eggplants and completely remove the skin.
- On a plate, lay a piece of eggplant flat and flatten using a fork. There are Chinese egg plants that are smaller in size to achieve the same in the photo above.
- To cook Tortang Talong: In a skillet, heat an oil. Dip the eggplant in beaten egg. Then fry it in the skillet over medium to low heat.
- Scoop 3 tbsp. of the cooked crabmeat then spread it on top of the eggplant.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of beaten eggs over the crabmeat to cover.
- Drizzle some hot oil over the eggplant (scoop it from the side of skillet) to cook the top part. This is not to break the crabmeat on top of eggplant.
- After about 2 minutes, gently flip over the eggplant using a spatula. Cook the other side for about 2 minutes.
- Serve it with Banana ketchup on the side. Enjoy!