Lengua de Gato (Cat’s Tongue) or Homemade Butter cookies from Baguio City, Philippines. It’s buttery, tasty, crisp and melts-in-your-mouth. These cookies are spanish inspired cookies, they are super light and thin cookies that is shaped like a tongue of a cat.
LENGUA DE GATO RECIPE
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- Prepare your oven and preheat to 180°C (350°F).
- With an electric hand mixer over medium speed, beat the soft butter and gradually add sugar. Beat until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Adjust speed over high speed and gradually add egg whites one by one. Keep beating in every addition. Add vanilla essence and mix it well until soft peak (like a merengue)55
- Sift the flour 2 times in another bowl and slowly fold in (to make a smooth mixture).
- Scoop mixture into a pastry bag with a small round tip. Pipe a 3×2 inch strips of the batter on a lined baking tray. (2 inch space in between to prevent sticking side by side)
- Tap the tray gently to flatten the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven of 180°C (350°F) for about 8 minutes or until the cookies are cooked. (Very light brown on the edge)
- Transfer cookies immediately to a plate.
- Peel off wax paper from the cookies while it’s hot to prevent sticking. If the cookies become cool you’ll have a hard time taking them off.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool to crisp. Enjoy!