If you have an extra sponge cake sitting in your fridge or pantry. You gotta try this simple Matcha Cake for an afternoon tea and snack. Its a layer sponge cake, Mascaporne with Kitkat drizzled with Matcha. Though this dessert is just a small serving, you can double this recipe in the future for more.
Matcha Cake with Kitkat
- 3-4 kitkats
- 100g Mascarpone
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp honey
- 100ml cream
- 200g sponge cake
- 2 tsp matcha green tea
- 1 tsp soy sauce (yes, this is just a hint of taste and flavor)
- For Garnish:
- Matcha Macarons
- Glazed Strawberries (dipped in sugar syrup)
- In a large bowl, combine the Mascarpone, egg yolk and honey. Break up KitKat into small pieces and set it aside.
- In another bowl, beat 50 ml of the cream until fluffy and soft peaks form. Then, gently fold in Mascarpone mixture and mashed KitKats. Let it chill in refrigerator.
- In a another bowl, combine matcha green tea, soy sauce and 100 ml of warm water. Transfer into a large pan tray and set it aside.
- Slice your sponge cake into slices about a 2-3 inches height, then soak into the matcha mixture. Then, line the moulds with cling film and set it aside
- Place the sponge in the bottom of the mould, then cover with a layer of cream. Repeat, then top with a final layer of cream and leave to firm up in the refrigerator.
- For the decor: Beat the remaining 50ml of cream with a sprinkle of matcha and spread on top to decorate. Sprinkle extra match powder on top. And decorate with Matcha Macarons, Kitkat, chocolate bars, strawberries etc.
- Decorate as you like. Enjoy!