Black Forest Trifle
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 2 x 680g jars Morello cherries, drained, 1/2 cup (125ml) juice reserved
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) kirsch** (optional)
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- Grated chocolate, to garnish
**kirsch is a clear, colorless fruit brandy traditionally made from double distillation of Morello cherries, a dark-colored cultivar of the sour cherry
- 2/3 cup (160ml) milk
- 200ml pure (thin) cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Maraschino Cherries!
For Basic chocolate cake
- 1 ⅓ cups (200g) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 200g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 225g unsalted butter, softened, chopped
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line a 24cm round springform cake pan.
- For the chocolate cake: Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (don’t let bowl touch water). Cool slightly.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. With beaters on medium speed, add vanilla, then add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour in cooled melted chocolate and beat until well combined. Beat in a third of sifted ingredients, followed by a third of the milk. Repeat until all ingredients are incorporated, beating until smooth. Pour mixture into the pan and bake for 45-55 minutes until risen and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack to cool completely.
- Combine corn flour with 2 tablespoons of the reserved cherry juice. Place remaining juice in a pan with sugar over medium-low heat and stir for 2 minutes to dissolve sugar. Add corn flour mixture and stir for 1-2 minutes until sauce thickens. Stir in the cherries and kirsch, then remove from heat and cool. Chill until needed.
- For the custard: Heat milk and cream in a pan over medium heat to just below boiling point. Remove from heat. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture. Return to a clean pan over medium-low heat. With a wooden spoon, stir gently but constantly, for 4-5 minutes, reaching the base and corners, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (when you run a finger along the spoon, it should leave a trail). Remove from the heat. Strain through a fine sieve into a container. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the jam, cover and chill.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar to soft peaks.
- ASSEMBLY: Slice cake horizontally into 3 even rounds. Place 1 cake layer in a 2-litre serving bowl, trimming to fit if necessary. Spread with half the custard, then top with one-third of the cherry mixture. Repeat this process, then top with the final layer of cake.
- Top with the whipped cream, then arrange the remaining cherries on top. Chill for at least 2 hours for flavours to develop, then serve garnished with grated chocolate.
- Serve on special occasions or holiday!