3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Cheddar
pinch cayenne pepper
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
- Brush 2 or 3 ramekins with butter. Then dust with the Parmesan cheese and tap gently to remove the excess cheese. Set aside.
- In a small pot, using medium heat. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoon butter. Mix in flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add and mix in milk and cook. Keep stirring, until it boils for about minute. Quickly, remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Season with cayenne and nutmeg.
- Beat in the yolks one by one. Set aside. (This step can be made ahead and kept in refrigerator with cover)
- Prepare a mixing bowl and beat egg whites, add a little salt and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Combine 1/4 of the egg whites into the cheese sauce to loosen the sauce a bit. Gradually fold in the remaining egg whites but don’t mix. Just fold in gently until just incorporated and avoid deflating the egg whites, the batter should be fluffy and airy.
- Transfer mixture into the prepared ramekins. Bake in preheated oven at 375° F. for 40 minutes for a 16-ounce soufflé while just 20 minutes for two smaller ones until puffed and color is light golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!!