Holiday is here again and its time to make our homemade giveaways! Homemade Christmas Fruit Cake. Make it in advance and wrap it up in special containers or tin cans.
Where do you buy the dried fruits and glazed fruit mix?
Its all available in baking stores near your area. You may also buy it in SM supermarkets and the candy stores kiosk along the pathway in malls. They sell different kinds of dried fruit candies, champoy, dried papaya, kiwi, dried pineapple etc.
If you cant find it in malls,you may also buy it in Lazada or Shopee online stores.
Just add the fruits of your choice or what is available and easy to find. Atleast 3 kinds of dried fruits is good to go for any fruit cake recipe. Alternatively, you can make your own dried fruits at home! Like the Candied Orange Peels, see recipe here. There are plenty of youtube instructions on how to do it, specially if you have extra fruits in your pantry.
Christmas Fruit Cake
300 grams assorted dried fruits (Any of the following: dried mango, plums, dates, prunes, candied orange peels, apricots, dried cherries etc.)
100 grams glazed fruit mix (mini cubed glazed dried candy)
100 grams raisins
80 grams glazed kaong
50 grams orange peel
1 cup rum (used for fruit soaking)
50 grams cashew nuts (Or walnuts, pecan, pili nuts)
1/2 cup dayap rind or lemon zest
1 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (180 grams)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup butter (150g)
9 ½ tbsp brown sugar (120g)
3 pcs eggs
1 jigger rum (for brushing)
1) 1 week advance preparation: Combine glazed fruits, dried fruits, raisins, kaong and peel. Soak the fruits in rum for one week. Set aside and cover. (The colors of dried fruit will turn pale after soaking, so make sure to save some for your colorful toppings)
2) Baking Day: Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs slowly on a medium speed beat. Sieve the flour and spices together. Add the flour gradually on a low speed.
3) Drain the soaked fruits and dust with a little flour. Add this to the flour mixture. Give the mixture a final turn with clean hands to mix thoroughly. Transfer mixture into prepared small aluminum pans.
4) Garnish with more colorful glazed kaong, dried fruits and nuts on top. Bake in 148°C (300°F) oven for two hours. Brush cake with one jigger (1 shot size) of rum.
5) Cover with foil and seal. Let age for one week before consuming. Great for holiday gifts and giveaways.
Happy holiday and Enjoy baking!
When aging it, it should be in an airtight container/package. You can keep it in the fridge or outside at room temperature.
For as long as the fruit cake is kept on a container that is airtight it will preserve the freshness and will have a longer shelf life of up to a month.
You may also try our newest recipe:
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.