This Holiday season, prepare some Japanese infusions for your menu. Japanese food is well respected when it comes to culinary art. For me, the classics are always the best way to go for the Holiday season. I love Maki Rolls and I’ll never exchange it for the reinvented recipe of sushi bake. To be honest, I had a chance to taste it, but it’s kinda grimmy for me.
Cooking Notes: Feel free to use your favorite fruit, which can be mango or avocado, or choose from cucumber or carrots.
For the Ingredients, equiptments needed. You can purchase it online. Like the Sushi Roller Maker, Fish Roe, Japanese Sushi Rice and Nori sheet. It’s available in different online platform, like Lazada, Shopee and Facebook Market.
Video Recipe of How to make a California Maki / Credits Music: Dayspring by Firefl!es
California Maki Recipe
- 3 half-sized seaweed sheets (Nori)
- 3 cup cooked Japanese Sushi rice
- 1 cucumber, peeled & julienned (optional)
- 1 ripe mango (or you may use avocado)
- 2-3 large crab stick imitation
- Wasabi (garnish)
- sesame seeds, toasted
- fish roe (Masago)
- 1 tsp mayonnaise or (crème fraiche)
- In a low heat stove, roast the seaweed sheets quickly on one side. Set aside.
- Peel and remove core of the cucumber, slice it in thin strips. Sprinkle it with salt and leave alone some minutes. Then rinse off to get rid of the surplus liquidity. Pat dry to remove excess juice.
- Slice the mango to get the flesh, remove the big seed and scoop out the fruit flesh. Slice it into thin strips and follow the size of your cucumber strips.
- Fry the crab stick and slice it in 4 sticks
- Lay the nori sheet flat, spread some portion of sushi rice evenly. Fold the mat halfway, to invert the nori from bottom to top (as seen on video).
- Once the nori is on top and the rice is underneath the mat, arrange 1 cucumber strips, mango strips and crab stick in the center.
- Then make an Inside-Out-roll. Pressed it slightly to form a log shape. Roll it until all the rice and filling stick together evenly and become firm. Keep on rolling until everything looks tight together.
- Sprinkle with fish roe on top and all sides. And garnish with toasted sesame or top it with thin slices of salmon.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!