Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe (recipe below)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat to combine and use a hand mixer.
- Gradually add milk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla to flour mixture and combine together on medium speed until well combined. Adjust speed and slowly add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tin. Grease.
- Pour cake batter on each muffin liner. Pour at least ½ full.
- Transfer inside the oven and bake in preheated oven to 325º F. Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Make the frosting (see recipe below)
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 3 – 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk, heavy cream, or half-and-half
- In a mixing bowl, add softened butter. Set the mixer on a medium speed and cream the butter until it is smooth and creamy for 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, ½ a cup at a time. After each cup has been incorporated, turn the mixer onto the highest speed setting and for about 10 seconds to lighten the frosting.
- Add vanilla and a pinch of salt and combine until well-incorporated.
- Add milk, heavy cream (or half-and-half) until the frosting has reached the preferred consistency.
- For a thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar, a ¼ cup at a time.
- Serve it in beautiful cupcake trays. Enjoy baking!