One of my favorite home made pies of all time! Who doesn’t love lemon meringue pie? I have one in the refrigerator right now. Yummy!
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 medium lemons juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large egg yolks beaten
- 1 (9-inch pie) crust baked
- 4 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- For the Filling: In a sauce pot, mix 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add and mix water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter.
- In a separate bowl, place egg yolks and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup portion of hot sugar mixture. Then pour egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture sauce pot. Let it boil and continue stirring until it becomes thick.
- Turn off heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- For the Meringue: In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. It will take around 10-15 minutes. Remember over beating will make it watery in the bottom. So you need to stop beating when the meringue becomes unmovable when you invert your bowl.
- Transfer the meringue in the crust. You can just put it on top freestyle, and just lift or gather a random tip of the meringue. (If you have an icing pipe, you can pipe it on top too for a more aesthetic look of the pie).
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F. for 10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly golden brown on top and crisp. Serve and enjoy!