This Shawarma recipe is with beef, pita bread and garlic yogurt sauce (Filipino Style). If you’re interested in putting up your own Shawarma Food business or even if you’re just craving and couldn’t find any store near your place to buy a Shawarma.
Here’s a complete recipe for making your own special beef shawarma in filipino style that you will surely love. This is so so delish and my family enjoyed it so much! Simple and easy recipe. Happy cooking!
½ kilogram sirloin beef
6 pita bread /flour tortilla wraps, recipe below
1 small sized Cabbage/lettuce (cut into thin strips)
2 Carrots, julienned
1 large Cucumber, julienned
2 big Tomatoes, cut into thin strips
1 medium sized Onions (cut into thin strips)
1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil (for stir frying)
For the marinade:
2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon onion powder or 2 teaspoons minced onions
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 large beef cube (bouillon), crushed into powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
Chilli pepper to taste
Salt to taste
1 Tablespoon Vegetable /Olive oil
For Shawarma Sauce:
Garlic Yogurt Sauce (recipe below)
1. Wash and cut the vegetables into thin strips and set aside. Also Cut beef into thin strips and set aside.
2. Place the beef strips into a bowl, add the marinade and mix thoroughly until well incorporated. Then cover and store in the fridge for 2 hrs or overnight.
3. In a pan, heat up a tablespoonful of oil. Add the marinated beef & stir fry until juicy and brown. Scoop unto a plate and set aside.
4. Place a shawarma bread on a clean flat surface and cut into two equal sizes(that’s if you are using a large pita bread).
5. But if using a very flat bread or tortilla wraps, simply, spread the shawarma sauce (mayonnaise or yogurt sauce, and ketchup) on it and then fill it with the sliced vegetables and beef slices on one end.
6. Sprinkle some chili pepper. Then fold the bread, tuck in the edge, and roll to form a shawarma wrap
Tip: if you want to warm it up a bit, place on a heated pan for 3 minutes(the closed edge facing the pan).
Homemade Pita bread (Flour tortillas)
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons lard
1 ½ cups water
1. Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix in lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal.
3. Add water, and mix until the dough comes together.
4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until it’s smooth and elastic.
5. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a ball.
6. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla.
8. Place tortilla into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden, then flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side.
9. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer, then continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.
GARLIC YOGURT / SHAWARMA SAUCE
¼ cup Mayonnaise
25 ml small yogurt (plain)
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp fresh garlic, minced
⅛ tsp salt
Mix together all ingredients and place in the chiller until ready to use.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.