This Fish fillet with Tofu, tausi sauce will make you feel nostalgic. An oriental cuisine and classic Chinese Filipino food that we all love. The tausi sauce surely elevated the mild taste of Tokwa and Fish fillet with the fresh aromatic herbs and hint of sesame oil. It will excite your tastebuds. Happy cooking!
Fish Fillet with Tokwa In Tausi Sauce (Chinese style)
½ kilo Tokwa or Tofu (Firm)
½ kilo fish fillet (white fish)
½ cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
3-4 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp fermented black beans
1 tbsp. finely grated ginger
1 tbsp. finely minced garlic
1 green or red bell pepper cut in squares
5 strands of green onion, minced
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
1 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp oyster sauce
For Sauce Thickener:
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp cornstarch
- Drain water and pat dry your tokwa/tofu. Slice it into 1 inch squares. Set aside.
- Slice fish fillet to a bite size square. Add salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoon cornstarch then set aside.
- In a small bowl, put 2 teaspoon fermented black beans. Wash with water and then drain.
- Slightly mash black beans with teaspoon then set aside. You need an exact measurement for this because tausi is very salty. You no longer need to add salt for the sauce mixture.
- In another bowl, combine sauce ingredients and set it aside also.
- In another bowl, stir sauce thickener in a small bowl then set aside.
- In a pan, heat vegetable oil over high heat.
- Once oil is hot, add tofu and fry until golden brown then set aside in a paper towel lined plate.
- In the same pan, fry fish fillet until crispy and golden brown then transfer in plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
- In the same pan, reduce oil and leave about 2 Tablespoon. Sauté ginger, and garlic. Stir fry until fragrant, adjust heat to low as needed. Add black beans, sliced mushrooms and half of green onions. Stir fry for about 1 minute. Pour sauce mixture, cover, and let it boil.
- Toss green bell pepper and pour in sauce thickener. Continue stirring until sauce becomes thick. Transfer into a separate bowl.
- Upon serving, pour sauce into fried fish and fried tokwa. Toss it gently until fully coated with sauce. Garnish with chopped green onions. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!