This is an absolute peaches, cherries and cream overload..dig in! If you want, you may also use mangoes or fruit cocktails instead of sliced peaches. You can purchase the sliced peaches in any SM supermarket branch.
Crema de Fruta (Peaches and Cherries)
- For sponge cake:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- For cake syrup:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- For custard:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 23.5 oz. Dole Sliced Peaches in plastic Bottle heavy syrup
- 1 Bottle Cherries
- 1 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
- To make the sponge cake: (You can steam it for 30 minutes or bake it as instructed below). Grease and flour a rectangular aluminum pan. Sift the flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick then slowly add the sugar. Continue mixing until light and fluffy. Gradually add the flour mixture.
- In a sauce pot, combine milk, butter and vanilla extract; cook just until the butter has melted. Slowly pour into the batter; mix until combined. Pour into prepared pan then bake in preheated oven to 350 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- To make the cake syrup: Place sugar and water in a saucepan; cook until the sugar has dissolved. Drizzle lightly over the sponge cake.
- To make the custard: In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and milk. Cook in medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens. Pour some of the mixture over the egg yolks and mix together till combined. Add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Cook for a few more minutes then remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Pour over the sponge cake. Let cool.
- Cake Assembly: Using a strainer or sieve, drain and reserve the syrup from the sliced peaches in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the unflavored gelatin over the syrup. Do the same for cherries.
- Let the gelatin “bloom” (absorb liquid and expand), about 1 to 2 minutes. Cook it for 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt the gelatin. Set aside. Arrange the sliced peaches and cherries over the cooled custard. Carefully pour the gelatin/syrup mixture over the peaches, cherries and custard.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy! Happy baking