This Brioche (Milkless Bread) is an airy soft and buttery bread. Perfect with any of your favorite spread, cheese or jam. Bake it fresh today for breakfast or afternoon snack. Happy baking!
Serves: 2 loaves of bread
Brioche (Milkless Bread)
⅓ cup warm water (about 43°C/110°F)
2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (not rapid rise)
2 ⅓ cups super fine pastry flour (or cake flour)
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6 large eggs
8 ounces unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes, softened at room temperature
1. Dissolve yeast with water in a small bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt. Beat using a mixer with a dough beater (spiral shape).
3. Adjust the mixer to low before adding the eggs, one by one while constantly beating.
4. Then gradually add the yeast and continue beating for 5 minutes at low speed only.
5. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Turn the mixer on low and beat for an additional 5 minutes.
6. While constantly beating at low speed, add the butter cubes one by one.1 minute interval for every addition. Continue beating for 10 more minutes until the dough is smooth.
7. Place the dough to a lightly greased bowl and place plastic wrap cover. Let the dough sit in a warm place until doubled in size, about 3 hours. I would place it in an unused oven or turned off.
8. After 3 hours, take out the dough and punch it in the center and knead to release the bubbles. Once you have released the bubbles. Return the dough in the greased bowl, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
9. Then place the dough back on a floured surface and knead it again to remove some air bubbles. Place the dough back to the bowl, put a cover with plastic wrap to prevent air from coming in and refrigerate overnight.
10. The next day, take out the dough and transfer onto a floured surface. Slice the dough in half.
11. Shape the dough into 2 rectangles and place into two buttered loaf pans.
12. Allow the dough to rise, without cover, in a warm place and limited air. Let it rise above the top of the pans, for about 2 hours.
13. Bake the brioche until it is golden brown on top, approximately 30-35 minutes in preheated oven of 180°C (or 350°F).
14. Take it out from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Turn over the bread out from the pan and place it on a wire rack. Slice, serve and enjoy!
For storage, keep it in an air-tight container or wrapped it in sealed plastic. Set it aside in normal temperature (up to 2 days shelf life).
This recipe goes well with:
Easy Apple Marmalade
Credits: Youjeen Cho
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.