Goat Innard Stew (Bitter Goat Stew) is a unique Ilocano cuisine that has a main ingredient of goat’s tripe, intestines, lungs, kidney, liver and papait (bile liquid). Great appetizer or in Filipino we call it “Pulutan”.
Caution! This recipe is very high in uric acid.
Papaitang Kambing Recipe
- 2 kilograms goat’s tripe, lungs, intestines, and kidney (boiled, chopped into tidbits)
- 1/4 kg. boiled goat’s blood (boiled and cubed)
- 10 pcs. siling haba (long green chili peppers)
- 3 tbsp. Patis (fish sauce)
- 4 medium onions, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, (crushed and minced)
- 4 thumb size ginger, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. rock salt
- 1 tsp. Magic Sarap
- 1/4 cup pure papait (bile liquid)
- 2 liters of water
- In a large casserole, sauté garlic until light brown. Then add and sauté onion and boiled goat’s intestines.
- Add the ginger, patis and Magic Sarap.
- Keep on sautéing until liquid is reduced or until intestines turn to light brown.
- Once the intestine is cooked, add the boiled goat’s blood, water and salt. Let it boil in high heat and simmer in low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the papait or bile liquid and siling haba. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes more. Season with salt as needed.
- Serve hot and enjoy!