This chocolate cake recipe is simple and classic recipe you can make. It’s a good starter if you’re just learning how to bake. Yummy and fail proof chocolate cake. Happy baking!
Mama’s Chocolate Cake Recipe
- For the cake:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 ¾ cups caster sugar
- ⅔ cups cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- For the chocolate icing:
- 1 cup plain chocolate (200g)
- 200ml heavy cream or whipping cream (**Anchor, Emborg, Arla brands and never use all purpose cream)
- Grease and line two 20cm/8in round pan.
- For the cake: In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the cake ingredients, except for the boiling water.
- Next, pour the boiling water in the mixture, little by little until it becomes smooth. (Don’t worry if the cake mixture is a bit runny.)
- Divide the cake batter between the pan and bake in preheated oven of 180°C for 25-35 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Turn off oven and remove the cakes from the oven. Let it cool completely and set aside.
- For the chocolate icing: In a shallow sauce pan, melt the chocolate and cream over a lowest heat, stir until smooth. Don’t over heat the chocolate.
- Remove the pan from heat immediately when chocolate is already melted. Continue whisking the chocolate mixture until smooth, glossy and thickened. Set aside and let it cool for about 1 or 2 hours. Let it become thick until smooth and spreadable in consistency but not runny.
- Cake Assembly: Run a knife around the inside of the cake pan to loosen up the sides. Gently flip over the cake pan into a plate and transfer.
- Spoon a little chocolate icing over the top of one of the chocolate cake, then carefully top with the other cake.
- Transfer the cake to a cake stand and frost the cake all over with the chocolate icing, using a palette knife. Serve. Share and enjoy!