HOW TO MAKE EASY BIBIMBAP – if you have some left over Bulgogi and got some few fresh veggies waiting in the refrigerator. You’re in for some healthy meal today.
You can definitely alternate the vegetables listed here according to what’s available.
HOW TO MAKE EASY BIBIMBAP
3 cups short grain rice
8 ounces beef, rib eye or sirloin (substitute shiitake mushrooms for a vegetarian dish)
2 cups boiled gosari*, (fernbrake)
16 ounces soybean sprouts, (or mung bean sprouts, or togue)
1 bunch spinach
2 kirby (pickling) cucumbers (or 1 Korean cucumber)
2 small zucchinis
2 medium carrots
5 teaspoons minced garlic
2 or 3 scallions, chopped
roasted sesame seeds
salt and pepper
vegetable or canola oil
4 tablespoons of Korean red chili pepper paste (gochujang, 고추장)
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
3 tablespoons of water
1. Cook the rice with a little less water. Bibimbap rice must be a little dry than usual for best results.
2. For Beef: Slice into 2-inch long thin strips. In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of sugar, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 2 teaspoons of rice wine, 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/2 sesame seeds and a pinch of pepper. Let it stand for 20 minutes to marinate. Then, sauté in pan for 2 – 3 minutes over high heat.
3. For Gosari (Fern brake): Slice into 3-inch lengths. Add with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and a pinch of pepper. Set it aside for 10 minutes. Then, sauté in pan with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
4. For Soy bean sprouts: Boil 1 cup of water with a teaspoon of salt. Add the bean sprouts and cook for 3 minutes. Drain immediately and wash in cold water to stop the heat. Drain water thproughly. Then, add with 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds. Season salt and pepper to taste.
5. For the Spinach: Prepare boiling water with little salt and blanch the spinach until slightly wilted (about 30 – 40 seconds). Drain from water and and quickly splash cold water. Squeeze out excess water. Slice into 3-inch lengths. Transfer into a bowl and add in with 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste.
6. For Cucumbers: Slice the cucumbers in thinly slice like the others. Season with plenty of salt. Set aside for 10 – 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess water. Transfer in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds.
7. For Zucchinis: Do the same for zucchinis and slice thinly. Sprinkle salt over sliced zucchinis and let it stand for 10 – 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess juice from salted zucchini by hand. Transfer into a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of chopped scallion, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds. In a pan, sauté in oil for 1 – 2 minutes over medium high heat.
8. For Carrots: Julienne the carrots into match sticks. In the same pan, sauté for 1 – 2 minutes over medium high heat. Season salt and pepper to taste.
9. For the sauce: Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
10. How to Assemble: Add a portion of rice in a big bowl. (If you have a stone bowl, heat it over medium heat until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil and rice and cook the rice for a few minutes until the rice sizzles.) Place a small portion of each prepared vegetable accordingly and add beef over the rice. Drizzle a little sesame oil over. Top with an egg fried sunny-side up and serve with the red pepper paste sauce.
Serve and enjoy! Yummy healthy Korean Bibimbap.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.