How to Prevent your chiffon cake from deflating? Open the oven doors, let the heat gradually go down for a few seconds, remove pan from oven and invert the tube pan into a wire rack. This technique will prevent it from deflating by controlling the residual heat flow.
Cake Color: You may add a few drops of pandan essence so the cake will have a hue of light green. If you want an all natural cake, just skip the pandan essence. Your cake will turn a bit light yellow and not bright green.
Yield: 8 servings
Pandan Chiffon Cake Recipe
For the batter:
5 egg yolks
20g caster sugar (1.5 tbsp)
100g cake flour (1 cup), sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
100 ml coconut milk
2 Tbsp pandan juice (see below for making pandan juice)
a few drops pandan coloring/pandan paste, optional
3 Tbsp olive oil
For the egg whites:
5 egg whites
60 gm caster sugar (4.3 tbsp)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
For the pandan juice:
10 pandan leaves, fresh or frozen
1-1/2 Tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F).
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and add 1.5 tbsp sugar. Pour coconut milk, pandan juice, and a few drops of pandan paste. Mix well.
- Add sifted cake flour and baking powder ny batches into the egg yolk mixture. Stir well. Add olive oil, mix and set aside.
- For the Meringue: In another clean dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a hand mixer until it bubbles. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating. Then add the 4.3 tbsp of sugar in three batches. Keep on beating after each addition and until stiff peaks form.
- Add the meringue mixture and fold into the egg mixture in batches. Gently fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
- Transfer into the greased tube pan, tap the pan to remove extra air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- For the first 15 minutes, check if cake is browning (you can reduce heat to 150C if needed). Continue baking until cooked through. It is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven. invert the pan into a wire rack or plate. Let it cool completely.
- Slice, serve and enjoy! Happy baking!
How to make Pandan juice:
Cut pandan leaves into small pieces, grind it through a food processor and add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of water. Process to small pieces. Transfer the ground pandan leaves in a muslin bag or strainer and squeeze out the juice.