Tochong Bangus Recipe is composed of milkfish, tofu and fermented black bean sauce as the main ingredient. This milkfish recipe is Filipino style with chinese influence. This is an old classic recipe of Filipinos. Tasty, yummy and delish!
Do note to wash and rinse the Tausi beans for 2-3 times in running water, to remove the saltiness. If you dont rinse it with watet, it will be very salty.
Tochong Bangus Recipe
1 kilo bangus (milkfish), descaled, gutted and sliced into serving pieces
2 blocks tokwa (firm tofu), sliced into ½-inch thick
1/2 cup tausi (fermented black beans), *rinse 2-3x with running water to lessen the saltiness and drain
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium-sized onion, sliced
3 large tomatoes, sliced
1 thumb-sized ginger, julienned
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp whole peppercorns, coarsely crushed
½ tsp ground peppercorns
½ tsp five-spice powder
2 pcs red chili pepper, chopped
½ tsp salt or to taste
2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in ¼ cup water
2 cups water
cooking oil for frying
3 tbsp cilantro or wansoy, chopped
- Marinade fish and tofu: soy sauce and ground pepper. Marinade for about 15 minutes.
- In a pan, pour oil and heat up over medium heat. Fry the tofu, occasionally turning over on each side until the color turns brown. Transfer into a paper lined plate and drain excess oil. Cut into thin rectangular square. Set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the marinated milkfish. Continue cooking until both sides are golden brown. Transfer on a paper towel lined platter. Set aside.
- In a clean sauce pot, sauté the onions, garlic and ginger. Add in tomatoes and continue to cook until the tomatoes are soft. Add the fermented black beans and chili. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour water and add in the oyster sauce and brown sugar. Season with salt and crushed pepper. Adjust heat to low and simmer for additional 2 minutes. Season with five-spice powder. Stir well to combine.
- Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Gently add the fried fish and tofu cubes. Simmer for another 2 minutes. Gently mix until the fish is covered with tausi sauce. Remove from heat and garnish with chopped wansoy.
- Serve and enjoy! Happy cooking!