The Cream Puffs are made with a choux pastry and then filled with whipped cream. These puffs taste delicious. Cream Puffs are called Windbeutel in Germany.
German Cream Puffs (Windbeutal)
- 1/2 cup sweet unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling on top
- melted chocolate, optional drizzle
- Heat oven to 400°
- Boil butter & water in large saucepan
- Mix flour & salt then add to saucepan beating vigorously about 1 minute or till a soft ball forms
- Remove from heat & beat in 1 egg at a time – continue beating til batter is smooth & glossy
- Drop 1/4 cup at a time onto un-greased baking sheet about 3” apart
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes till puffy & golden
- Remove to wire rack & cool completely
- In a deep chilled bowl, beat heavy whipping cream, sugar, & extract till fluffy or desired consistency then place in refrigerator until ready to use
- Prior to serving, split puffs, remove insides & fill with cold cream mix
- Place caps back on puffs and sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Serve immediately or store briefly in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Enjoy! Happy baking!