This Orange chiffon cake is super light, airy, and has a mild citrusy flavor with white frosting recipe to match with a tea. This cake is also perfect for any special occasion like a birthday or a wedding cake. Check out our icing recipes here.
To get a good result, it is best to bake this cake in a tube pan in which the hole in the center easily carries out the hot air around the cake. It bakes evenly and faster because of the tube pan. Happy baking
Orange Chiffon Cake Recipe
2 ¼ cups cake flour
¾ cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
7 egg yolks
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 egg white, (room temperature)
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup fresh orange juice
3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F) and grease a 10″ tube pan.
2. Dry Ingredient: In a bowl, sieve the dry ingredients (flour, ¾ cup sugar, baking powder and salt). Set aside.
3. Wet Ingredients: In another bowl, combine yolks, oil, juice, zest and vanilla using a balloon whisk.
4. Batter Mixture: Combine and whisk wet and dry ingredients until well combined and no lumps. Set aside.
5. For Meringue: In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Sprinkle cream of tartar; continue beating until firm and double in size. Add in ¾ cup sugar gradually, in batches at a time, until hard peaks form.
6. Using a spatula, fold ¼ of the meringue into the batter mixture in 4 batches. Until all remaining egg whites are folded carefully. Do not stir the batter, just fold in the egg whites, to retain the fluffy texture.
7. Pour mixture in greased tube pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Please note baking time may vary or differ per oven, so please check the cake from time to time.
8. Invert pan over neck of a bottle to cool to loosen up the bottom easily. Once cool, run a knife around edges and gently tap to remove cake.
9. Transfer on a wire rack. Let it cool completely before frosting.
10. For the frosting: Whisk in juice to sugar until dissolved; drizzle all over the cake.
Serve and enjoy! Happy baking!
**How to Prevent your chiffon cake from deflating? Open the oven doors, let the heat gradually go down for a few minutes, remove pan from oven and invert pan into a neck bottle/wire rack. This technique will prevent it from deflating by controlling the residual heat flow.