This Coca Cola cake is just perfect, the flavor of the coca cola is just classic. I knew I’ve tasted this kind of cake before, it taste so familiar and delicious! The cream cheese chocolate frosting became the best double chocolate combo ever. You just gotta try it.
This cake generally takes 2 hours in total preparation. The best way to do it quickly is to prepare and arrange all the materials needed before even starting with baking. My tried and tested routine when baking.
Prepare moulds and cut the parchment paper needed for the cake bottom and grease the side of mould with oil. Prepare all ingredients in the table and preheat your oven. When everything needed is ready, it’s easy to move and work around quickly. Happy baking!
Coca Cola Cake (Double Chocolate Cake)
1 cup Coca Cola (real thing, not diet)
1/2 cup oil
1 stick butter
3 Tablespoon cocoa
3/4 cups sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 tbsp vinegar + 1/2 cup milk, mix and let curdle)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 oz package cream cheese, room temp
1 stick unsalted butter (8 tbsp or ½ cup), room temp
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla (Mc Cormick is the best)
Candy Sprinkles (optional)
1. In a saucepan, pour 1 cup Coca Cola, ½ cup vegetable oil, 1 stick butter and 3 tbsp cocoa. Let it boil once and whisk it until well combined. Turn off heat. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the sugar, flour and salt. Pour the boiling Cola mixture over the flour mixture and beat well. Add the 2 eggs, ½ cup buttermilk, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp vanilla and beat well.
3. Pour mixture into a greased and parchment paper lined 5” inch round baking pan and bake at 350 degrees (176° C) 15 to 25 minutes. Check it at 15 minutes and insert toothpick in the center, if its still wet.
4. Continue baking for additional 5-10 mins until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remember that not all ovens are the same so watch out on your cake so it doesn’t overcook. I used an electric oven and it only took me about 15 mins to cook my cake.
5. Remove pan. Cool for about 10 minutes. Then invert cake in a wire rack to completely cool first before frosting. Frosting your cake when it’s still warm will melt your frost. So wait to cool completely before frosting.
6. For Frosting: Using an electric hand mixer with a large mixing bowl, add 8 oz cream cheese with 8 Tbsp butter. An easy work around is too slice, cubed and minced your cream cheese including butter. This is ideal if your using a hand mixer for a easy mixing. Using medium speed,cream your butter and cream cheese for about 3 minutes (scraping down the sides in between). Add in sifted 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted ½ cup cocoa, vanilla and ¼ tsp salt. Beat on low speed until well combined and so smooth. Keep on scraping the sides in between beating.
7. You’re ready to frost your cake. I use my piping injection style for my frosting and used a star tip and started frosting from the side and swirled it around the cake until the whole cake is swirled with star tip frost.
8. Happy baking and enjoy!
3 Buttermilk substitute you can choose from:
1) 1 Tablespoon vinegar + 1 cup Milk. Let stand for 2 minutes until curdled.
2) Stir 1/4 cup milk + 3/4 cup plain yogurt
3) 1 cup of milk + 1 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. To avoid getting lumpy, mix first the cream of tartar with 2 Tablespoons of milk. Once mixed add the rest of the cup of milk.
Baking Materials Needed:
5” Round Pan
Piping Gun/injection style ( for frosting. I bought it in Sm grocery, Japan home for 88 pesos)
Cake Stand (optional)
US standard Measuring cups and spoon
You may also try our:
Creme Puffs with Custard Filling