This Steamed Yema Cake Recipe is tried and tested by Mama’s Guide friends. The cake is spongy, soft and fluffy. Just like the best seller Yema Cake you buy from Laguna. And the Yema frosting is so heavenly delish. Go ahead and try it today!
Steamed Yema Cake Recipe
- A. Dry Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cup cake flour*
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- B. Wet Ingredients:
- 3 large egg yolk
- ½ cup milk or orange juice or water
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- C. Meringue:
- 3 egg white
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp. Cream of Tartar
- D. Yema Frosting:
- 5 egg yolk
- 1 can condensed milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
(*Substitute: if there is no Cake flour: Just use All purpose flour and remove 2 tbsp and replaced it with 2 tbsp cornstarch and sift well).
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix.
- In another bowl, combine all wet ingredients and mix then pour the egg mixture into the dry mixture. Mix well until thoroughly incorporated. Set aside.
- Prepare the meringue by beating the egg white till stiff peak form.
- You know the meringue is done when the icing is no longer moving after you flip it upside down.
- Gently fold the meringue into the cake batter in three portions. Use the cut and fold method to mix the batter.
- Prepare the Llanera or baking pan. Pour the cake mixture into the pan and cover with an aluminum foil if steamed.
- Steamed for 40 minutes or till cake is done. Do the toothpick test to check the cake.
- Insert a toothpick on the center and if it comes out clean then it is done. Remove from baking pan and let it cool on the rack.
- While waiting for the chiffon to cool down prepare your Yema Frosting.
- In a medium size saucepan, combine egg yolk and condensed milk then cook on very low heat while stirring continuously.
- Once Yema frosting starts to thicken pour in the slurry (cornstarch and water mix together to make a slurry) and mix until very thick.
- Cook the Yema frosting for 2-3 minutes more then add the vanilla. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Pour the Yema frosting all over the cake then top with grated cheese and serve.