This Sweet and Sour Chicken (Chowking Style) is just like what you order from your favorite chinese restaurant. Although their version is with pork and fish. This recipe comes with Chicken fillet and can easily interchange with any meat available. It’s pretty much the same with Pork or fish.
It was not my intention to get the exact taste of Chowking’s sweet and sour recipe. But to my amaze, everybody in my family agreed it’s like Chowking’s Sweet and Sour pork.
If you follow all the ingredients below without any substitute. You can get the perfect chinese style Sweet and Sour recipe.
Anyhow, wether you want the Chowking style or just want a simple chinese recipe. This recipe is absolutely amazing and it taste so delicious. The chicken fillet is crunchy outside and soft inside. While the sweet and sour sauce is truly asian in flavor.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! Happy cooking..
Sweet and Sour Chicken (Chowking Style)
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
- ½ kilo boneless and skinless chicken breast (cut into bite-size cubes)
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine or rice wine** (optional)
- 4 small red and green bell pepper (seeds removed and cut into wedges)
- 2 tbsp spring onions, minced
- 1 head garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 large white onion, sliced in wedges
- 2 cups pineapple chunks (1 can about 200 grams)
- Oil for frying
For the Batter:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup (I used UFC banana ketchup)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (if you want spicy make it 3 tsp)
- 2 tablespoon Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice vinegar, substitute: white vinegar or apple cider
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce (panda brand or mama sitas is ok)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch/ dissolve in little water
- 3 dashes white pepper powder (or pepper)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
**Cooking Rice Wine is available at any SM supermarket. See Picture below to see what it looks like. (If you want it very saucy you can double these ingredients)
- Pound chicken breast fillet with a mallet to slightly flatten meat. It becomes easy and quick to cook when breast fillet is pounded by kitchen hammer.
- Slice the chicken breast meat into bite-size cubes and rub with little salt, pepper and add 1 tablespoon of cooking rice wine. Let it stand for 10 minutes to marinate. Set aside.
- For Batter/Chicken Coating: In another bowl, combine all purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and water. Mix well until it forms into a thick batter. Then add the chicken cubes into the batter. Set aside.
- For Sweet and Sour Sauce: Mix the sweet and sour sauce in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cooking Chicken Fillet: In a large wok or pan, heat up cooking oil over medium heat for 5 minutes and start cooking chicken fillet by batches. Never over crowd your pan, there should be space in between each fillet. Do not use high heat so it doesn’t burn your fillet. We will only use low heat and let it gradually cook until it becomes crispy outside and tender inside. That’s the secret of a perfect deep fried chicken fillet.
- Deep fry the chicken cubes and shake off the extra drips of batter before frying. Fry chicken fillet over lowest heat for about 10 minutes per batches until it turns slightly brown. The color of your fillet when cooked is slightly white and brownish in color because of cornstarch. It wont turn into golden brown unless overcooked. An overcooked chicken fillet will have a hard meat. Our goal is crispy outside and tender chicken. Once cooked transfer on a plate lined with paper towels to remove the excess oil. Set aside.
- Remove the cooking oil from your wok and leave only 2 tablespoon oil.
- Saute garlic until light brown then add slice onions and bell peppers. Sautè until it becomes fragrant. Pour in sweet and sour sauce and let it simmer over low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss in pineapple chunks and turn off heat.
- Transfer chicken fillet in a serving bowl and pour in sweet and sour sauce. Only pour the sauce in chicken fillet upon serving to preserve the crisp texture of your fillet. Sprinkle with chopped spring onions upon serving. Enjoy
You may also try our:
MAMA’S CHOCOLATE DREAM CAKE RECIPE (Copycat)