If you’re missing the famous Steamed Pork Rice (Ala Dimsum Break). Fret not, because you can now cook it at the comfort of your home. The sauce is so tasty and delicious!
Steamed Pork Rice (Ala Dimsum Break)
For Pork & Shrimp Stew:
400 gm Pork (I used pork belly, you can use Collar Butt too for good lean meat plus some fat)
100 grams Shrimp (Devein & remove shell)
3 cups water
2 tbsp frozen peas
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1/2 tbsp of fried shallots
1 tbsp of cornstarch (dissolved in 3 tsp water)
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine/Hua Diao Wine
1 tsp oyster sauce
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 pinch of black or white pepper powder
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 tbsp Light Soy Sauce or to taste
2 tsp of dark soy sauce or 1 tsp of sugar
For Garlic Fried Rice：
3 cups of Cooled Jasmine rice
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp of oyster sauce
few drops of sesame oil
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
- Slice pork into cubes. In a large bowl, combine all marination ingredients listed above. Let it stand for at least 20 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tsp oil and sauté shallot and garlic over medium heat until shallots are soft and garlic are slightly brown. Add pork pieces, and let it cook until browned.
- Pour in 3 cups of water, mix in soy sauce and sugar. Place with pot cover and let it boil over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Adjust to medium-low heat and continue to simmer for additional 45 minutes (until pork becomes tender).
- Prepare the shrimp: shell, devein the shrimps and cut into small size. Set aside.
- Once the pork becomes tender and the water is reduced to half. Adjust the heat up, to rolling boil, add the shrimp and quickly followed by frozen peas.
- When the shrimp changes color, quickly stir in the dissolved corn starch. And continue to simmer until sauce becomes slightly thick.
- For the Garlic Fried Rice: In a large pan, add 2 tbsp of oil, stir in minced garlic and stir until fragrant, add the cooled rice and break the rice with a spatula, keep stirring at high heat until rice loosen and fragrant.
- Season with soy sauce and oyster sauce, continue mixing until the rice becomes fluffy in texture. Toss in a few drops of sesame oil before turning off the heat. Avoid adding to much seasoning on the rice because it will empower the taste.
Transfer into a large ceramic bowl or heat resistance bowl. Upon serving. To serve the rice, simply place fried rice in a 3-4 bowls and portion pork and shrimp stew equally on the rice. You can steam this dish on a steamer for 10 minutes, it makes the fried rice tender and delicious.