Do you want to make a Homemade Special Tikoy giveaway for Chinese New Year. You’re right because there is no need to buy outside. You can make one at home from scratch and it is so easy to do.
Just prepare a cute nice Chinese New year box, or even in microwaveable plastic tubs and you’re in for a good business for the coming Chinese New Year celebration on February 16, 2018, year of the Earth Dog. Sell it or make it as a giveaway to close family and friends.
Updates: The 2019 Chinese New year falls on February 5, 2019 year of the Pig.
Kong Hei Fat Choi! Happy cooking MGR friends
Homemade Tikoy Recipe
2 ½ cups glutinous rice flour
½ cup white sugar (adjust sugar to sweetness preference)
2 cups water
Note: you can use brown sugar if you want a brownish color.
1. In a pot over lowest heat, pour water and mix in sugar until melted. Turn of heat.
2. Then, gradually add glutinous rice flour into the hot water with sugar (by batches). Continue mixing well until all ingredients are incorporated and no lumps left. Strain it if needed to have a smooth finishing.
3. Grease a round pan with enough oil or cover base with baking paper for easy unmolding. Pour the mixture to the greased pan
4. Prepare steamer and let water boil first before starting to steam. Steam for 1 hour over medium heat. Do a toothpick test if it’s cook. It should come out clean when inserted in the center. Don’t forget to cover your pan with clean cloth to prevent water drippings on mixture.
5. Once tikoy is cooked, remove it from steamer and let cool on a wire rack. Unmold it and seal with plastic wrap if your planning to sell it.
6. Cooking suggestion: slice it into bite size, dip it in beaten eggs and fry it in batches.
Serve and enjoy!