This Lemon Chiffon Cake recipe is delicious, fluffy and soft. Follow the simple steps given below and you can never go wrong when baking a chiffon cake. Basic, easy and simple even for beginners.
Lemon chiffon cake
7 large eggs, separated from yolks
2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
4 tsp grated lemon peel
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
For the frosting /icing :
1/3 cup butter, softened
3 cups confectioners ‘s sugar
4 ½ tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
A dash of salt
1. Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Set aside. Meanwhile preheat oven to 325°F or 160°C.
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together twice and place in another large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and beat until well blended.
4. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed just until stiff but not dry. Fold a 1/4 of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites gradually until well blended.
5. Spoon batter gently into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake for 50 – 55 minutes and cool in the pan about one hour.
6. Combine icing ingredients in a small bowl and beat until smooth. Spread over cake and sprinkle some of the grated lemon peel.
**How to Prevent your chiffon cake from deflating? Open the oven doors, let the heat gradually go down for a few minutes, remove pan from oven and invert pan into a wire rack. This technique will prevent it from deflating by controlling the residual heat flow.