Suman malagkit plus leche flan? Have you ever tried this delicious combo yet. Super creamy glutinous rice combined with leche flan. Try it today, its very easy to cook!
Suman Flan Recipe
1/4 kilo malagkit (glutinous rice)
1 big can of condensed milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract / Lemon juice
4 whole eggs
1-2 tablespoon of sugar per tin or llanera
200 ml water for cooking the glutinous rice
Yields: 3 llaneras
1. Cook the malagkit or glutinous rice in water. Make sure it is not fully cooked because it will continue cooking in the steamer. Set aside to cool.
2. Prepare the flan batter. In a bowl or sauce pan, break and put the eggs. Whisk slowly until smooth. Add the condensed milk. Stir to incorporate well.For flavoring, add vanilla extract. Add the pre-boiled glutinous or malagkit rice to the flan batter. Mix well. Pour the flan batter to the tins with hardened caramelized sugar.
3. Cover each tin with aluminum foil. Prepare water in the steamer. Wait for the water to boil before placing the tins or llaneras.
4. Steam for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted to the flan comes out clean. Done!
How to caramelize the sugar:
1. In each llanera or tin that you will use, put at least 2 tablespoons of sugar. Caramelize per tin separately.
2. Heat the tin with the sugar over low heat. Stir using a spoon. Make sure the sugar is spread evenly in the tin by making a circular motion while spreading the sugar. Keep a close watch to ensure that the sugar will not be burnt or overcooked.
3. Once the sugar has caramelized and liquefied, remove the tin from the heat. Using a pot holder, move the tin around to spread the caramelized sugar. Do the same to the 2 remaining tins.
4. Set aside to cool for about 4 minutes before adding the flan batter, This is to ensure that the caramel has set.
*If you want more, just double the recipe. You may also steam the flan batter first for a few minutes before adding the malagkit rice.
*I used whole eggs instead of just the egg yolks because I find it more creamy.
*You may also add a teaspoon of lihiya and pandan while cooking the malagkit rice.
*You can substitute the water needed for cooking rice with coconut milk.