Baked Tahong (Mussels) are an ideal recipe to any occasion, be it a fiesta, birthday, baptismal, or wedding. Aside from being affordable, tahong are so tempting and delicious with lots of garlic, butter and cheese. Yummm…
Don’t worry though if oven is not available, of course you can use gas stove to cook it in a pan, or oven toaster, or just grill it.. Fantastic!
Just a mild warning though to eat and chew it properly and eat in moderate comsumption so your stomach can properly digest it. These Baked Tahong (Mussels) are the best appetizers specially for drinkers.
Cheesy Garlic Baked Tahong
1 lb mussels, boiled and split the two shells
6-8 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup butter, softened
grated cheese (use quickmelt, Quezo brand will not melt, so its not advisable)
extra toasted garlic or fresh herbs, garnish
1. Wash and clean the mussels thoroughly and make sure to remove the remaining dirt’s in running water.
2. Boil the mussels until the shells starts to open. Drain it well and split the shells. (Discard shells that didn’t open)
3. Pre-heat oven to 180°C (or 350°F). If there is no oven, you may also use a pan with cover, or oven toaster, or grill it if you like.
4. Combine butter and garlic.
5. Arrange mussels in tray covered with foil.
Spread with butter & garlic mix.
6. Top with grated cheese.
7. Bake for 15 minutes until top is slightly brown.
8. Serve it while hot with toasted garlic on top. Enjoy!