These Rainbow Cupcakes Recipe are so cute and easy to make. There are two recipes you can choose from and learn the easy technique on how to make it in rainbow colors not just in icing but also the cupcakes.
You may also try our Steamed Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge recipe here.
For the cupcake batter:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon iodized salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Natural food coloring in 5 different hues
For the buttercream:
1 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together until well combined.
3. In another large bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
4. Combine the dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Fold it using a spatula, until well combined. Dont over mic
5. Divide batter among 5 different bowls.
6. Use a toothpick to place a dot of food coloring into each bowl. Mix well using a spoon or spatula.
7. Use a spoon to add different colored batter in thin layers into baking cups until three-fourths full.
8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Let cool on a wire rack.
9. For the buttercream: In a mixing bowl, mix shortening, sugar, milk, and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, beat ingredients until light and fluffy. Scoop into a piping bag.
10. Frost cupcakes with buttercream.
Notes: To make a variety of rainbow effects, use toothpick and gently swirl in the center.
For the rainbow cupcakes:
2/3 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup butter
1 cup self-raising flour
2 1/4 tablespoon cornflour
3 medium eggs
1teaspoon vanilla extract
6 different natural food colours (Used here were Sugarflair gels in Red Extra, Ice Blue, Party Green, Egg Yellow, Tangerine and Grape Violet)
For the icing:
5 cups icing sugar
250g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk
You will also need:
Deep muffin tray
Ice cream scoop
6 small ziplock or sealable sandwich bags
Piping bag and Wilton 1M piping tip (optional)
1. For the cupcakes:
2. Preheat your oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas mark
3. Place paper cups in your muffin tin.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter with the vanilla essence until light and fluffy.
5. Add 1 egg, 1/3 of the flour and a splash of milk and beat until just combined and repeat until all the ingredients are added and well combined.
6. Divide batter: Equally divide cake batter to each ziplock bag, then add your desired gel colour to each one, adding more if required and gently press the bag to distribute color to your prefered hue or color.
7. You can start with with red or purple, snip the corner off the bag a squeeze a layer covering the bottom of the paper cups. Then with the other colours, squeeze a layer of batter over the previous colour.
8. Use a toothpick to gently spread the batter around, so as to cover the previous colour.
9. Once you have completed all the layers of colour, bake in the oven for 25-30 mins depending on your oven.
10. Remove and cool in the tins for 10 mins before moving to a wire cooling rack.
11. For the buttercream: Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
12. Make sure to let the cupcakes cool first before frosting, because it will melt the frosting if it’s warm.
13. When the rainbow cakes are cool, spread or pipe (Wilton 1M tip) onto the tops of the cupcakes.
14. Pipe and swirl, start in the center of the cupcake and work outwards to the paper, using this as a guide follow it round and build up into a swirl. To finish push down slightly and pull up quickly. Decorate with rainbow sprinkles.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.