Get your salivary glands pumpin with these burong mangga recipes or pickled mangoes! Best paired with fried fish (galunggong or Bangus), steamed okra, eggplants, dried fish and fish anchovies (bagoong isda). While others loves to pair it with Adobong Baboy or Lucban Longganisa. Yummy!
Burong Mangga (Pickled Mango)
- 6 pieces of green mangoes (hilaw na mangga) with very firm flesh
- 1/2 cup of white rock salt
- 2 cups of water
- small red chili peppers or siling labuyo (optional)
- 3 cloves of garlic (optional)
- Wash and clean the mangoes in running tap water.
- Peel and slice each mango into three flat slices. The middle is the flat seed in the center of the fruit.
- Slice the flesh off the side of the seed. Until all flesh are scraped out.
- Cut up the remaining mango flesh into long, fat slivers (optional).
- Place the peeled, sliced mango in a large jar. Set aside.
- Once done, prepare the brine solution by boiling the water and the salt for five minutes. Set aside and let it cool.
- Pour the cooled brine mixture into each jar.
- Cover the jar loosely with plastic wrap and let it ferment.
- After 3 days, cover the jars with tight cap and transfer the jars inside the refrigerator.
- Your burong mangga is ready for devour! Enjoy!