Halo-halo special is a famous Filipino scrumptious dessert made from dozens of sweet ingredients with shaved ice, milk, a scoop of ice cream, pinipig garnish and to make it insanely good they would add on a wafer stick.
This is the ultimate Filipino dessert to beat the summer heat. You’re probably not a Filipino if you don’t like Halo-halo. Because every Filipino grew up eating this cold dessert all year round. Nowadays, most restaurants and fast food chains are selling this special ice dessert where ever you go.
For an easy maker of crush ice or shaved ice you may purchase an affordable Ice Smashing Electric Crusher. Most ingredients can also be bought in bottles or ready made cooked version, like the red mung beans, langka, macapuno, ube halaya. Check out Shopee or Lazada for availability.
For the make ahead ingredients which you may need to do in advance are: gelatins, tapioca or sago, leche flan, and sweetened camote.
2 ripe bananas, sliced (or nilagang saging na saba)
1 cup cooked gelatin, cubed (make ahead)
1 bottle langka (ripe jackfruit)
1 bottle sweetened red mung beans
1 bottle sweetened macapuno (or fresh young coconut)
1 bottle sweetened white beans
1 bottle cooked ube halaya (sweet purple yam)
4 cups shaved ice
2 cups milk
4 scoops of Ube ice cream
1/2 cup pinipig or rice krispies
1 Llanera of Leche flan (make ahead)
1 cup sweetened camote (make ahead)
1 cup cooked sago/tapioca, (make ahead)
4 pcs champola, (wafer stick)
1. Prepare 4 halo halo crystal glasses. Arrange all ingredient into 4 equal parts for each serving glasses.
2. Add 2 tablespoon of each ingredient, adding layer by layer starting with red mung beans, sweetened camote, white beans, langka, bananas, sago and gelatin.
3. Top with 1/2 cup shaved ice.
4. Pour 1/4 cup milk over shaved ice and top with a scoop of ice cream, topped with macapuno, a small slice of leche flan and ube halaya on the rim side. Serve with crispy wafer stick.
5. Lastly, sprinkle pinipig or rice krispies on top to garnish.
Kaong (sweet Palm Fruit)
Pinipig (dried rice)
Sago (jelly pearls)
Macapuno (sweetened coconut meat)
Boiled Red Munggo (Boiled Red Mung Beans)
Saba (Banana – Like plantain)
Ube (Purple Yam)
2/3 evaporated Milk
Ube Ice Cream
1. Using a large ice cream bowl, arrange the following ingredients: sweet palm fruit, sweetened coconut meat, boiled red mung beans and sweetened jackfruit.
2. You may also add sweet white beans, colorful gelatins, sliced banana and jelly pearls.
3. Then fill in your bowl with crushed or shaved ice, pour evaporated milk. Add 1 tablespoon of ube or purple yam and a slice of leche flan on the side. Place one scoop of ube ice cream in the center, sprinkle a pinch of pinipig on top to add hints of flavor. Serve it right away. Enjoy!
TIP: When eating halo-halo, gently dig the shaved ice using a spoon and mix everything together until the ice melts and all the flavors are combined. Indulge!