These cheesy potato balls are crunchy and soft in the inside. It’s a picky eater favorite and kids love these! You can add cheese cubes or any fillings like bacon strips or even ham. Happy cooking and enjoy!
Cheesy Potato Balls (Croquettes)
- ½ kg potatoes (irish potatoess or any regular potatoes)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup minced meat
- vegetable oil (enough for frying)
- cheese, cubed
- Boil potatoes till tender about 20-30 minutes. Then mash it until no more lumps. You can use a potato ricer (best to use) or potato masher metal to mash your potatoes or a large fork to mash it manually.
- Place mashed potatoes in a large bowl.
- Stir in the egg, onions and minced meat.
- Shape into balls, insert cheese cubes in the center and roll in bread crumbs. Let stand for 15 minutes or freeze 5 minutes to set.
- In a deep pot or frying pan, add vegetable oil.
- Fry potato balls, a few at a time, for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite dippings (sour cream, gravy or cheese sauce). Serve and enjoy!