This Ukoy (Shrimp Fritter) recipe is really simple and delish. Just partner it with your favorite spiced vinegar or sinamak for dipping sauce. How to make it extra crispy? Check the second to the last step on this recipe.
Ukoy (Shrimp Fritter)
1 cup small shrimps, cleaned
1 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1-1/2 cups mung bean sprouts/togue
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp baking powder
1-1/4 cups water
2 cups cooking oil
achuete seeds (soaked in hot water)
1. Combine cornstarch, flour, baking powder, egg,water,salt and black pepper then stir diluted. Add a teaspoon of achuete liquid to get the orange color.
2. Add the shrimps and mung bean sprouts in the mixture and lightly stir to distribute.
Heat a frying pan or small cooking pot and pour in the cooking oil.
3. When the oil is hot enough, scoop about 2 to 3 tbsp of the mixture, place it in a large spoon (sandok) to create a round shape (thinly as possible). It becomes soggy when fried if its kinda thicker in volume. Quickly but cautiously drop it in hot oil.
4. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until the color turns deep orange.
5. Please note that the cooking time may vary depending on your heat. Make sure to start with medium to low heat.
6. Repeat this step until the entire mixture is consumed. Remove the deep fried ukoy from the pan and place in a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the oil.
7. Set heat on high and refry it very quickly for the second time to make it extra crispy. Make sure not to over toast it though.
8. Drain from oil and transfer into a plate with new paper towel. Serve with spiced vinegar/sinamak.
Share and enjoy!